Support our Sponsors

Additional Information

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Featured Interview of Handmade Treasures: Sheila of Country Impressions Floral and Decor

This week's featured interview of handmade treasures is Sheila of Country Impressions Floral and Decor.
Do you have a favorite medium? Is there anything you eventually want to get in to and master?
Working with dried and silk flowers, creating "one of a kind" arrangements and wreaths. I would really like to learn to tole paint. I've always admired those that have mastered this type of art.

What kinds of artistic projects do you like to work on?
Lately I've really taken to working on simple "stitchery" projects while relaxing in the evening.

How long have you been crafting?
Seems like I've been doing some kind of crafting forever!

When did you first start selling your handmade items? What inspired you to do so?
At least 20 years ago. Creating some kind of flower arrangement using "drieds" that I either grew and dried myself or had purchased the materials to work with. Then working in a floral shop (not as a designer at first) the owner saw me making something up for my daughter's 16th birthday and liked what I was doing. She then asked if I was interested in learning the art of floral designing, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Within a short time I was one of the top designers, grateful that I learned so much from her. I would create wreaths and other arrangements and give them as gifts and pretty soon by word of mouth I was getting calls from people wanting to place an order for the things I made and it all blossomed from there.

What style do you decorate your home in?
I have quite a mix of items. When I can afford them I like to purchase antiques and older pieces. I tend to lean towards country/primitive decor, blending in recycled and repurposed items.

Were you artistic as a child?
Honestly, nothing comes to mind, at least nothing like what my children were like when they were growing up. They were always drawing and creating something!

Did anyone inspire you as a child or when you were starting to become artistic?
No.

Was there a point when you realized "Wow, I'm an artist/artisan!"
Maybe it really only hit me a few years ago when I was able to stop working outside our home and focus on what I wanted to do. That's where I'm at right now in my life. Doing what I want to do, at the pace I can handle and being my own boss.

Confession time: What does your craft room/studio really look like? Is it organized?
I have two rooms that are devoted to my collection of supplies. I try VERY hard to be organized but I would say it's an "organized mess," as I know where things are! Working with all that I do, from fabric and sewing projects, painting this and that and the mess that comes with flowers and such, it's going to be a mess! Especially when I go "junkin" to find items I can incorporate into my creations. You just can't pass up a deal if you see something you may need down the road in another "season." I do clean it up and straighten out my work surface about once a week only to begin making a mess all over again.

Please list the urls to your blog(s) and shop(s).
Country Impressions Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment